Snoozing amid green pillows of beautifully forested mountains, Şəki (Sheki) is Azerbaijan’s loveliest town, dappled with tiled-roof old houses and topped off with a glittering little khan’s palace. Historic Sheki was originally higher up the valley around the site now occupied by Kish. That town was ruined by floods in 1716 but rebuilt by rebellious Khan Haci Çhalabi, who set up a defiantly independent khanate there in the 1740s. by a second, even more catastrophic flood in 1772, Nukha became the new royal capital. After 1805, when the khanate was ceded to Russia, Nukha continued to flourish as a silk-weaving town and was a trading junction between caravan routes to Baku, Tbilisi and Derbent (Dagestan), with five working caravanserais at its peak. Nukha was renamed Şhaki in the 1960s. He built a second fortress at Nukha (today’s Shaki). When the original Shaki was obliterated.