Sanam Chandra Palace is a tiny castle-like structure built in a combination of French and English styles, but with adaptions for the tropical climate The palace grounds is located on a site Nakhon Pathom, Thailand and consists of five buildings and a Ganesh shrine. The palace was built from 1907 to 1911 by King Vajiravudh (Rama VI), and has a view of Phra Pathom Chedi.
Part of the site is now a campus of Silpakorn University. On December 5, 2003 the university returned the palace and surrounding satellite buildings to the Bureau of the Royal Household following the wishes of HRH Princess Bejaratana Rajasuda Sirisobhabannavadi who is the daughter of the former king.
The name derives from the Pali words Nagara Pathama, meaning First city, and Nakhon Pathom is often referred as Thailand’s oldest city. Archaeological remains have been linked to the (pre-Thai) Dvaravati kingdom, dating to the 6th through 11th centuries.
Round Trip Transfer
English Speaking guide